This recipe is gluten-free. Vegans can discard ghee and use coconut oil instead.
You will need:
4-5 Ripe bananas
1 Cup raw rice ,soaked for 2 hours
1/2 Cup Palm Sugar or Jaggery
A pinch of salt
2 pods of green Cardamom
2 tbsp of grated coconut
1/2 cup of ghee
1. Grind the rice into a paste with a little water. Add the coarsely mashed bananas to the rice paste and grind once to get it all well incorporated.
2. Dissolve Jaggery or palm sugar in 1/4 cup of boiling water. Strain for any impurities
3. Pour the dissolved jaggery/palm sugar into the rice batter. Pound the Cardamom seeds and add them along with the grated coconut into the mixture.Mix well.
4. Heat up an appam pan/ paniyaram kal / aebleskiver pan. Add about a tsp of ghee in the individual slots. Gently drop the appam batter in each slot ,filling just below the brim.
5. Cover and cook for about couple of minutes. Using a fork/skewer turn the appams and add another tsp of ghee. Remove once they are golden brown and crisp. Serve immediately.